What is a Domain name Registry ?
A domain name registry is an organization that manages top-level domain names. They create domain name extensions, set the rules for that domain name, and work with registrars to sell domain names to the public. For example, RICTA manages the registration of .rw domain names and their domain name system (DNS).
Who is a Registrar ?
A registrar is an accredited organization that sells domain names to the public (It can be referred to as a Reseller). Some have the ability to sell top-level domain names (TLDs) like .com, .net, and .org or country-code top-level domain names (ccTLD) such as .RW, .CA, .EU or others.
Who is a Registrant ?
A registrant is the person, company or organization that registers a domain name. All registrants manage their domain names through their registrars. When you register a domain name, you become a registrant.
What is domain name ?
A Domain name is a text-based name used to identify an Internet space. A domain name can have multiple services such as a website, a mail service, etc. associated and/or built onto it [domain name]
How do I register or renew a “.RW” domain name ?
“.RW” domain names are registered through RICTA accredited registrars. RICTA maintains the complete list of its accredited registrars at this URL : http://ricta.org.rw/registrar
How much money do I pay for a “.RW” domain name registration or renewal ?
RICTA DOES NOT set the market (retail) price for domain name registration or renewal services. The market (retail) price is found at the registrars’. The registrant (domain name owner) has to choose the registrar that offers the best price based on the service he/she wants. For the official RICTA list: http://ricta.org.rw/price-list
Can I pay for more than one (1) year ?
If the registrar does not give me the service I want, can I change and take another registrar ?
Yes. This is called domain name transfer.
How do I transfer my “.RW” domain name to another registrar ?
First, you, the domain name owner (registrant) has to identify the new (gaining) registrar you want to work with. The new (gaining) registrar, through an official requestfrom RICTA registry systems, issue a domain name transfer request to the old (losing) registrar. Once the old (losing) registrar agrees, the domain name is transferred.
What is .RW Domain Name
In addition to registering a Rwanda domain name directly under .rw, RICTA offers as well the following Second Level Domain :
Generic Second Level Domain Zones Type of organization
- .rw : Any general purpose domain name
- .co.rw : Commercial and Business Organizations
- .org.rw : Not-for-profit and/or Non-Goverment Organizations
- .net.rw : Network Infrastructure Providers
How to Become a Registrar
1. Application letter sent by post (or delivered by hand) to RICTA P.O Box : 7334, 6th Floor Telecom House, 8KG 7 Avenue, attention to the Chief Executive Officer.
2. Company’s Profile detailing your company’s operations, location and abilities.
In particular, the company profile should include :
- Your experience in DNS and DNS server management
- At least two (2) DNS servers that your company manages
- A list of domain names hosted on the nameservers
- A company registration certificate from the Registrar’s office
- A company TIN (Tax Identification Number) or an official company registration number
3. The company’s system should be EPP compliant
RICTA Executive Management will evaluate your application within seven (7) working days and respond with an approval or Rejection. If your application is approved, your organization and RICTA shall sign the “Registry - Registrar Agreement” after paying the advance payment as specified in the applicable price list.
NB : To become an accredited Registrar, it is NOT required that your organization have local presence ; an office within the country, Rwanda.